Fraktur Workflow

Today I thought I’d experiment a bit with screen recording the process of designing the Fraktur Colorfont.

I discovered earlier that making the color layers in addition to the effect itself became very time consuming, which is why I wrote the ThorTypeFilter to speed up the process.

Even with the scripting I ran into a few problems here and there on certain shapes. Spreading out the black and white design on different color layers was a bit too complex for simple scripting, and sometimes I ran into problems with letters containing counters or other errors caused by having to round to integer coordinates.

I might not have those problems if I moved the first yellow layer to be on top of the red layers, but this also shows the problem of discovering these things later in the design process, as redoing those effects could also prove to be very time consuming (perhaps this might be fixed with a simple script).