The second model was a bit easier. I should learn to keep things simple for these type of projects
I finally managed to turn one of my earlier experiments with drawing in isometric perspective using Adobe Illustrator into a proper 3D model, only to render it to an isometric illustration again. I also tried rendering it using a perspective camera with a short focal length.
Today I found out how to render an Isometric scene in blender. Still working on the basics of 3D-modelling. E to extrude, S to scale and all that. After I had a model I could work with, I selected the camera and in “Object Data Properties” I changed the “Lens” type to Orthographic. Then I Read More …
Working on the isogame project I thought I’d finally learn the basics on 3D modelling in Blender, so I started going through this Udemy course. I also found a YouTuber with lots of useful tutorials on Blender as well. Hopefully I’ll be making something a bit more useful in the future.
It flickers a lot, but I’d rather implement resource loading as a separate task. Click on the image below for a demonstration.
Next stop… Walk cycle animations.
Today I was looking through OpenGameArt for readymade character sprites to use in the Isogame project and found that the spritesheets were all compilations of multiple sprites instead of discrete files. For a prototype I find that using separate files is easier in the first iteration, but extracting by hand is too tedious so I Read More …
After doing some experiments using different grids in Affinity Designer I found that the 2:1 Triangular grid format is the best for this particular 2D to Isometric coordinate function (the one I found here). I’ve also managed to break up the canvas into layers, fix rendering issues by waiting for the sprites to load in Read More …
I finally got around to moving the online isometric “game engine” project to its own git repo here: https://github.com/tcarisland/isogame As usual, the app is deployed to: https://tcarisland.no/isogame/ I also thought it was a good idea to do a screen recording on how it’s worked and how it works now.
Managed to create some very basic sprite support for the Isogame-project. Currently it only draws a basic grass tile, but since everything is rerendered every time the active tile moves the next step is creating support for multiple layers. Try it here: www.tcarisland.com/isogame